10 Top Performing Watermelon Varieties
For American Vegetable Grower’s inaugural presentation of “Variety Specs,” a feature highlighting top performing varieties from leading seed breeders and distributors, we gathered information on the latest varieties with high yields, a good resistance package, and more — all in a very reader friendly format.
Our first installment of variety specs focuses on watermelon, and as you will see in the following pages, key information including days to maturity, yield potential, weight, etc. — will be right at your fingertips.
Stay tuned, as each month we will feature a different crop. Coming soon: tomato varieties.
- Company: Golden Valley Seed
- Shape: Round
- Weight/length: 3.5 to 4 pounds
- Seedless/seeded: Seedless
- Disease resistance/Tolerance: Fusarium 1,2; Anthracnose races 1,3; gummy stem blight; downy mildew
- Color: Deep red
- Holding ability in the field: Very good
- Days to maturity: Medium-early
- Yield potential: Very high yields
- Region(s) best suited for production: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Southwestern U.S.
- Brix level: 13% to 15%
- Other attributes: Inside flesh is firm and crispy; it is good for individual servings