The following is a timeline of events that has led up to the finalization of EPA’s numeric nutrient criteria for Florida waters and what is still ahead.
- 2008: Florida Wildlife Federation files a lawsuit against EPA, calling on the agency to impose specific numeric criteria on runoff.
- January 2009: EPA agrees to a consent decree, effectively settling the lawsuit by agreeing to propose criteria for Florida’s lakes and flowing waters.
- January 2010: EPA proposes numeric criteria for comment from industry and stakeholders.
- August 2010: EPA announces a notice supplementing the January 2010 proposed nutrient standards.
- November 2010: EPA announces the final rule and numeric standards for nutrient runoff into Florida’s lakes and flowing waters.
- August 2012: Final standards must be established and ready for enforcement.