Syngenta Crop Protection, Syngenta Seed Care, and Syngenta Seeds ROGERS Brand are supporting the Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association’s (FFVA) education scholarship. Applications are currently being accepted, and the scholarship is open to Florida high school seniors and college students interested in pursuing a career in agriculture.
The $5,000 scholarship opportunity is available to students who meet one of these requirements:
1) any high school senior participating in Florida 4-H or FFA programs who will attend the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at the University of Florida, the Division of Agricultural Sciences at Florida A&M University or the Department of Citrus and Horticultural Science at Florida Southern College in the fall;
2) any student (graduate/undergraduate) enrolled in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at the University of Florida;
3) any student (graduate/undergraduate) enrolled in the Division of Agricultural Sciences at Florida A&M University;
4) any student (graduate/undergraduate) enrolled in the Department of Citrus and Horticultural Science at Florida Southern College.
Applications must include:
3) phone number
6) major/intended major and
7) an essay that does not exceed 350 words. The essay must address the following: All agricultural resources are becoming increasingly scarce, and still growers are expected to produce higher-quality crops in a larger quantity with fewer resources. Explain how the Florida citrus or vegetable industry could maximize its resources to meet the growing demand for food, feed and fuel. When writing your essay, consider the following aspects:
- Land Use
- Water Optimization
- Technology Transfer
Applications and essays must be submitted online by August 20, 2010 at www.SyngentaFFVAScholarship.com. For additional information, please contact Dan Burke at 919-870-5718 or [email protected]. There is also a Facebook page called Look to Ag for Your Future students can join.
The scholarship will be presented during FFVA’s 67th Annual Convention at The Ritz-Carlton in Naples, FL, on Sept. 21, 2010. The winner will be informed via letter and will be invited to attend the luncheon at which the scholarship will be presented.
Syngenta is dedicated to the future of agriculture, and this is the seventh consecutive year Syngenta Crop Protection has sponsored this scholarship.
Source: Syngenta news release