NYAG LLC, a new company formed by New York growers, aims to grow, pack, market, and sell new advanced apple varieties from Cornell University’s apple breeding program.
Cornell is ready to release two new apple varieties and has been seeking a partner to team with to bring the new apples to the marketplace. Cornell, via an advisory council recommendation, will choose a partner to team with for exclusive rights contracts for new apple varieties. If NYAG LLC is the chosen partner, contract negotiations with Cornell will begin in September.
The goals of NYAG LLC are:
- To introduce outstanding new apple cultivars to the marketplace
- To allow any NYS Apple Grower the opportunity to become a member
- To enhance New York State apple grower sustainability, growth, and long term competitiveness
- To secure exclusive variety contracts that allow its members and licensing partners to profit from the growing and selling of these varieties
- To invest funding directly to the Cornell apple breeding program to ensure continued variety improvement into the long term future.